Adventures in Europe

Monday, October 16, 2006

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven’t written or posted pictures for a while, I’ve just been really busy and it takes a long time. But here are some for you. Everything is still excelente here in Holland and I’m still loving it. The weather has been relatively nice and it’s still pretty warm. There have been some super rainy days and it’s cloudy a lot, but still pretty nice. Overall, everything is grand. I went to Amsterdam this weekend and it was kind of nightmare. Actually, it was good and bad (the good was really good, and the bad was pretty terrible). I went with a group of international students and we rode the bus. I got really super sick and barfed (sorry to be so graphic, but it’s true). Don’t worry because I did it in a bag, so at least I didn’t barf all over the bus right? But first went to a “typically Dutch” village called Zaanse Schaans. It was really nice and super cute. There were plenty of windmills and cheese and all that. But I wasn’t exactly feeling my best, so I didn’t take a ton of pictures. After that we went into Amsterdam and it was quite an adventure because our German bus didn’t know how to speak English or Dutch! And he didn’t know how to get to Amsterdam or where to park or anything. It was unbelievable. So we drove all around the city looking for a place to park and I was getting sick all over again and the bus driver was screaming things in German and it was just a treat. I didn’t do much in Amsterdam because I wasn’t feeling well, but it was still nice and I’m going back at least twice, so I wasn’t too worried about missing things. This week I also had an adventure with the missionaries. We went to go buy bikes because I have to give mine back to the girl who let me borrow it and one of the missionaries got his bike stolen! So we went and stood in line, and then there weren’t any bikes, so we went back to the bus stop and the next bus didn’t come for like 3 hours! And we were very far from the city. So we started walking and Elder Greenburg had things to do and places to be and he was getting desperate, so he started to stick out his thumb and straight-up hitchhike! It was insane. And after only a few minutes, a guy pulled over and we hopped in! He was from Uzbekistan (really) and didn’t speak much. But he was nice and gave us a ride to another bus stop. So that was my hitchhiking adventure with the missionaries in Europe! School is good here, and I’ve really been working hard because I realized how much schoolwork I really have to do and I want to get it all done because I’m going to Italy next week (yay!) and then my sister is coming in two weeks (YAY YAY!). But it’s still good and I’m enjoying myself. I can’t believe how fast time goes, and I’ve already been here for 6 weeks already! Crazy! But I’ll have some sweet pictures for you all as soon as I get back from Italy so prepare yourselves! Haha, I’ll write soon! We had a “vla” party on Monday night! Vla is a delicious mix between yogurt and pudding. They have millions of flavors and Santiago (far right) wanted to celebrate because he got a new computer, so we had a vla party and everyone shared their vla and I ate a lot of it. I kinda got sick though…
This is all our vla lined up! There was rum, chocolate, fruit, caramel, pear, banana, vanilla, and strawberry! YUM!
This is the view from the canal boat trip.
This is a big pirate ship that we saw from the boat. I think it was a restaurant or hotel or something.

This is the view from the canal boat.
The entire city is full of canals (kind of like Venice I've heard...) and we went on a boat ride through a lot of the canals around the city.
Me and Allison in Dam Square in Amsterdam.
This guy was in the center of the square doing some kind of fire and knife show. It was cool.
This is the main building at Dam Square in Amsterdam.
The day was a little blustery, but it was still nice.
I love this picture! This is the Dutch village Zaanse Schaans.
Here is the back view of the windmill. They were huge and looked just like in the pictures!
Here I am trying on some wooden shoes at Zaanse Schaans.
This is me displaying my beautiful and delicious Belgium chocolate! It was expensive and I savored it for like 2 weeks!

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Awwww I love Amsterdam! I can't wait to go back! the big huge ship is the Maritime museum I think, there are soooo many things I wanted to do there but never got the chance, let me know when you are going again :)

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home